by Dustin McNabb, Research Director Research In Action.
Cloud Application Migration Services (AMS) focus on moving applications to a public or private Cloud environment — or some combination of both (commonly referred to as a hybrid Cloud). Migration can also include moving applications between Cloud environments as well. When it comes to shopping for an AMS provider, there is a wide variety of services offered for Cloud migrations.
Typical services migrate or transform local on-premise legacy applications to a public, private or hybrid environment. This includes everything from relatively simple “lift and shift” migration operations to complex modernization-focused re-factoring and re-engineering projects that deliver Cloud native applications targeted at exploiting a broad range of Cloud capabilities.
Enterprises evaluating vendors with AMS offerings should look for essential capabilities and experience to ensure success of an AMS project – examples of these include:
• Automated tools to minimize manual effort when migrating applications to the Cloud
• Offerings that support multi-vendor infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) deployments and offer a broad range of IaaS solutions (examples include bare metal, virtual machines, and High Performance Computing (HPC))
• Tools for security including identity and access management (IAM)
• Cloud optimization practices and solutions
• Services that offer open solutions that are not vendor dependent
• Deep industry understanding
• Extensive migration experience including planning, app migration & management, governing and optimizing.
Research In Action will evaluate AMS solutions as part of our upcoming Vendor Selection Matrix for Cloud Application Migration Solutions report – coming soon!